[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: [nhas] Did you hear any Leonids?

Barbara of the New Hampshire [USA] Astronomical Society writes:

>This article talks about the possibility that one can hear a meteor
>as it is seen in the sky... [Did anyone hear any Leonids?]
>    http://science.nasadot gov/headlines/y2001/ast26nov_1.htm?list633145

Strangely, Barbara, I saw over 3000 meteors that night (and maybe over 4000,
as I'm still transcribing!), not to mention more fireballs than I've seen in
my entire life before now... and I didn't hear one electrophonic sound!

I might simply have been too focused on recording activity... Or it may have
been that I was in the middle of the observing platform - no metal "resonators"
really close to my head that night. I *HAVE* heard simultaneous sounds before:
the last time was a -7 fireball during the 1996 Leonids, which I observed from
Evans Notch NH... Interestingly, I was set up next to MY VAN to get out of the
wind that cold, cold (+5F) night. The sound was just like that described in Dr
Phillips' story: a "buzzing" or "whizzing", quite similar (I felt at the time)
to the sound a light bulb makes when it finally dies...

Did anyone else hear any electrophonics during this year's "Roar of the Lion"?

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer
Medford MA USA

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html