[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Update on 18-Nov-2001 GRALE

I am slowly wading through my non-digital data for the storm over China. Should be able to post final reports for all four nights observed by Monday some time...

This is just a quick note to say that my rates after the 19:20 were still very high! In fact as late as 20:30 <where I am in the tapes), rate for many of my minute periods was 10, and sometimes 15! If this is indeed considered to be "storm level", then the 2001 Australasian Leonids must have been the most prolonged meteor storm in a Century - or even longer??

==

Also a sheepish correction: in my breathless post to this list DURING the storm, which I just now reread, I'd said that my meteors/min rates had ranged from "10 to as high as maybe 100 or even 120 per minute"!!

Now obviously, that was the voice of inexperience (and maybe fatigue?) talking, for my per minute rates maxed out at 43, as my express report the next day clearly showed... Oh, well! Next time I record a meteor storm(!), I'll know better. :)

Clear skies to all!
Lew Gramer

Lew Gramer, 800-501-1187, lgramer@...
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html