[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Fwd: Leonids: USA "vs" the Eastern Hemisphere

As reported in one of my express reports, from 1020 to 1030 UT (Nov
18, 2001), my raw average hourly rate was 2766/hr.  Sure, this was
for a mountain top sky under excellent conditions (LM=7.1) and with
the radiant located only 26 degrees from zenith.  With this in mind,
I was certainly expecting to see rates above ZHR.  The excellent sky
quality probably helped make many of the fainter meteors visible.

For me, I still tend to agree that the reported ZHR=1000 appears to
be slightly too low.

This is not the only instance that I didn't quite agree with ZHR...
last year I was somewhat surprised that the 2000 Leonids peak over
North America were calculated at only 420/hr.  During that particular
maximum, it sure felt like the activity was almost twice as high
considering the interference from the bright Moon in Leo.

On the other hand, it could also be a matter of observer's individual
perceptions to movement, color, ect...

Pierre Martin

>You have got to be kidding.  1000/hr, I witnessed more than that at peak
>time with my own eyes and thats not ZHR which would have been well over
>2000/hr.  Someone needs to do some refiguring.
>
>David Stine
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: