[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd: Leonids: USA "vs" the Eastern Hemisphere

You know, there are two additional factors to consider here. First, there's
the fact that people have "eye flashes", false meteor detections. Everybody
does it, I have actually measured it in tests of observers viewing
videotapes of the 1999 Leonids. Some people are more prone to this than
others. The fact is, we all see things that we're not sure of. Some people
are more conservative than others, reporting only those meteors they are
absolutely certain of, where others will report meteors in which they have
less than absolute certainty. This in itself guarantees that different ZHRs
will arise from different observers.

On top of this there are natural differences between observers; some people
just see more meteors than others. Since the ZHR is defined as the average
of all reports, it is inevitable that some people will report a rate higher
than the average, and some people will report a rate lower than the ZHR.

Chris

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html