From: Lew Gramer
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 9:45 PM
To: Meteor Observing Mailing List
Subject: PLEASE READ FROM ADMINISTRATOR Re: (meteorobs) Satellite reentry?

Please note that the primary reason for meteorobs' existence is not to discuss
artificial satellite or debris reentry! Some discussions about this subject are
obviously in order - in particular, to determine whether a widely seen fireball
may or may not be of celestial origin...

And of course, we are lucky to have people with an expertise in identification
of reentries, among us on this list!

However, in the past few days, we have seen nearly 40 posts on the subject, not
just of WHETHER a certain sighting was space junk, but exactly WHICH space junk
it happened to be... If I could make a request, would those with an expertise in
satellite watching and identification perhaps **correspond privately** with one
another, and then report back to our list once a positive identification has
been made for the various bright events witnessed in the past few days?

Our many readers who are primarily interested in celestial fireballs, but NOT
artificial ones, would certainly appreciate this approach. Thanks to all!

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@atmob.org>

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html