[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Geminds/Earthgrazer Question

>>I've noticed from the posts that there were a lot of horizon to horizon earth grazers observed during the Leonids, early when the radiant was low.  Was this a phenomenon that was unique to the Leonids or is it common to all showers?  Is is possible that we might see horizon to horizon earthgrazers during the Geminds...<<

I see the earthgrazer question has already been answered. I just want to add something about the Geminids. That is, don't expect too many persistant trains like what you saw for the Leonids. Expect about 4% geminids to have persistant trains. And these will be the very brightest and probably overhead. Compared to the Leonids, you probably saw about 60% with persistant trains. This is primarily due to the difference in entry velocities. The faster they enter, the more chance there is for persistant trains to be visible from the ground. Geminids are of medium speed compared to the Very Fast Leonids.
GeoZay