From: owner-meteorobs@atmob.org [mailto:owner-meteorobs@atmob.org]On
Behalf Of Rob McNaught
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 2:29 PM
To: meteorobs@atmob.org
Subject: RE: (meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet 123/2001 - 22 November
2001"

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Robert Hayden wrote:

> Riddle me this.  If all meteors from comets are very fragile dust grains,
> explain the flashes on the moon.  If, on one hand we readily accept that
the
> dust trails include chucks that are large enough to generate a flash on
the
> moon visable from Earth, isn't it plausible that similarly sized chunks
hit
> Indiana?  Not that I would uncritically accept the story of the Yurans
> (presumably from the planet Yura), but the out-of-hand dismissal by
> astronomer Hammergren seems rash in view of the lunar observations.

Image 10kg of flour in a paper bag.  It will hit the Moon with the
same kinetic energy as a 10kg metal block (or 10kg of feathers or whatever).
The same bag of flour hitting the atmosphere will soon lose the
protective bag and the loose flour would cause a dramatic flare in
brightness as the surface area is massively increased in a fraction of a
second.  It dissipates high in the atmosphere and no meteorite reaches the
Earth's surface.

Cheers, Rob

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html