[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids in Alaska / MeteorWB program (Re: Geminds/Earthgrazer Qu estion)

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Thomas McCarty [mailto:tom@tech.engr.uafdot edu]
Onderwerp: Re: (meteorobs) Geminds/Earthgrazer Question

> As I'm new to this list and to trying to look at meteors
> I would like to ask some questions.  I live in Fairbanks
> Alaska roughly 147.45 64.51.
> How and when would be the best times to look for Geminds?
> why when I try to use a star chart the stars don't match
> what I'm looking at? my computer program list my GMT -10
> but others list it as -9 what is correct?

I tried your location in SkyMap, Fairbanks is one of the presets, it's
listed as 540 minutes behind UT, when Daylight Savings Time is not active.

The first thing I noticed is that the radiant is circumpolar from your
location: it remains above the horizon all the time.

The Geminid maximum can be expected to begin between 0 UT and 4 UT in the
night between december 13/14, the enhanced activity will last for several
hours. On that day in Fairbanks, the sun will set at 14:40 Local time. Yet
it will take untill about 17:30 before it is dark enough for meteor
observing.

Still at that time the radiant is just above horizon. At 22:30 it will be 30
degrees above the horizon. So, I'd say keep an eye on the sky from 17:30 on.
The meteors should be visible all over the sky, but I think I will be
looking at a point somewhat to the right of Orion. This is about 40-45
degrees from the radiant where the balance between the length and the speed
of the meteors should be best.

Below is the output of a program I am working on. It is based on the data
given in the article:

	Meteor stream activity. 1. The annual streams.
      Jenniskens P.
      Astron. Astrophys. 287, 990 (1994)
      1994A&A...287..990J

I've set the location to Fairbanks, Alaska and added some (comments). I hope
to release a first beta version of the program soon.

Nightly Meteor Forecast
Fairbanks, Alaska, USA, 2001/12/13 to 2001/12/14