[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet 123/2001 - 22 November 2001"

At 18:47 06/12/01 -0500, you wrote:
>On June 30th, 1908, *something* exploded 8 km high on the river Stony
>Tunguska, destroying about 2150 square kilometre of Siberian taigà.
>Tunguska's seismic tremors caused by the blast were picked up 893 kilometres
>away at the Irkutsk Magnetic and Meteorological Station. About 45 minutes
>later the same meteorological station recorded the passage of the blast wave.
>Thats a far cry from some "space stones" ending up in someones backyard.

Very true,but never the less,it illustrates how fragile space stones can be!

><< It's generally accepted that the fragment belonged to the Taurid meteoroid
>  stream,...     >>
>
>What ever hit Tunguska I feel was hardly  a fragment of the Taurid meteroid.
>This would have to be a comet or a large part  of a comet (Encke maybe?) or a
>low density asteroid such as Matilda.

I think i recently read somewhere,probably the book "Mars Mystery"(i can't
remember the names of the authors),that the parent body of the Taurid
complex MIGHT originally have been a "giant" comet(30Km or more in
diameter),which split in to several smaller comets which give us the
numerous radiants we see in the complex.

Leo

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html