[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fewer fireballs from LEO 2001 (China) than LEO 1998 (USA)?

An interesting note: I'm (finally) preparing my full IMO
report from the Leonid storm night in China, and noticed
that I had 74 fireballs total during 6.77 hours of Teff.
(For newcomers, 'Teff' is the actual time you spend with
eyes on the sky, exluding any breaks OR recording time.)

That is approximately 11 fireballs per hour on average.

This was wonderful! However, during the "fireball shower"
of the Leonids on 16/17 Nov 1998, I logged *36* fireballs
in just *ONE* hour of Teff... So it would seem (based on
an admittedly different sample size of course), that '98
was indeed a stronger year for fireballs than 2001??

This is based on a sole observer's visual data: So does
this comparison between these two years pan out the same
way in other people's video, photographic or visual data?

I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who
had clear skies and observed the whole time the Leonid
radiant was up, during BOTH of these amazing nights...

Just curious,
Lew Gramer

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html