[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fewer fireballs from LEO 2001 (China) than LEO 1998 (USA)?

Hi Lew,

I did not observe the 2001 4 revs (and  9,10,11 revs) trail occurrence over
China of course, but the 7 revs trail over the USA. And I observed the fireball
shower from northwest China in 1998. When I compare these, then the meteors in
the 1998 fireball component were definitely more bright than in the 2001 USA
component. In 1998 we had handsfull of fireballs in the -10 to -15 class and
I've seen few of those this year although the ZHR was a factor 10 higher.
Still, the 2001 USA peak featured clearly much brighter Leonids than the 1999
storm over Europe, reason why I found it more attractive than in 1999 although
the ZHR was only 50% of that occurrence.

- Marco Langbroek

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html