[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Electrophonics -- anywhere, anytime

From: Lew Gramer <dedalus@latrade.com>
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 11:41 AM

> ...In other
> words, whichever hypothesis is offered to explain simultaneous
> meteor sounds (and psychoperceptual explanations certainly have
> to be considered among these competing hypotheses), also has to
> explain the INFREQUENCY with which these sounds are reported.

Various answers follow:

Most people aren't sensitive.

Men are less sensitive to sounds than women and children hear the widest
ranges of sounds.  '60 Minutes' had a program in the 70's or 80's about
children with some sort of medical condition.  I remember the program
because I thought the children looked like elves.  Their hearing was very
sensitive.  During the program, there was a moment when the children said
they could hear sounds and the adults couldn't.  Seconds later it become
apparent what the sound was, a jet.

Generally people are scoffed at when they admit they hear unexplained noises
and they learn to IGNORE unexplained extraneous sounds that don't affect
them.

There is some sort of American military communication system(sorry I don't
know the name, it's for submarines) that some people appear to be able to
overhear.

http://www.oceanmammalinst.com/mgpaper.html
Humans aren't affected by this low frequency sonar but are water-based
mammals?

I live in a remote area that becomes very quiet at night.  While in bed and
before I become asleep, I can hear my blood flowing with my left ear, but
not my right ear.  When I first became aware of this sound, I didn't know
what I was hearing.  I now assume there is a blood vessel near my left ear.

When's it quiet and I'm meditating, I always hear high-pitched background
sounds.  I've never heard these sounds, when it's not very quiet.

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: