[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids 1998 and 2001

   Hello Lew,

   I am able to confirm that in 1998 fireballs were much more frequent.

In 2001 I reported 43 fireballs (<= -5) on 203 minutes efficient observing
time near Beijing.

In 1998 I reported 22 fireballs on 80 minutes efficient observing time
from central Finland.

   In both cases, many witnessed fireballs were not counted (cloud etc.)

   Those numbers are just slightly in favour of 1998 European display.
My skies were better (although not clear all the time) in China Wall. My purely
subjective impression is that fireball ZHR was 2 times higher in 1998 than
in 2001.
In many ways other than just ZHR the 1998 display was more memorable.

regards,
Timo Kinnunen

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html