[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids vs Antihelions

I just spent an hour between 12:00 pm and 1:00 am PST in my backyard
reviewing the LM polygons under a terrible urban sky of 3.0 LM
everywhere except in the vicinity of Gemini which was an amazing 3.8 for
my backyard.  I saw one dim fast meteor in Gemini which I thought might
be an antihelion since it was so near the ecliptic.  Later examination
of my planisphere convinced me that it was not.  However the antihelion
radiant is in Gemini and moving East and I think it will be at 6h +23m
on the 13 th of December near mu and eta Geminorum.  For me there is
some danger of confusing them with Geminids.  As I recal the Geminids
are medium speed meteors.  What is the speed of the antihelions?  What
is the approximate size of the antihelion radiant?

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html