[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) WM1 shower?

mlinnolt@alum.mitdot edu wrote:
> Any thoughts on whether this comet will leave a meteor trail for us?

===========
I did some rough simulations on Starry Night (using "inner solar system"
projection) and found that Linear WM1 will cross the plane of the
earth's orbit (ascending node??) around 01/march/2002 at 1,5 million km
of the earth's path. I then adjusted the comet's path so that I could
see where in the sky the comet seems to come from (form earth's orbit
point of view) in that moment. This point sits in southern Lepus. The
earth will cross this point around 18/may/2002. I think it's possible
that the comet's debris could be spread that distance (1,5 million km)
by this date, isn't it?

If so, based on this rough simulation, I bet a meteor shower can occur
around 18/may/02 with radiant around constelation Lepus. It would be a
early evening shower.

What do you think about it?
Am I on the right track?

Kiko Soares