[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: R: (meteorobs) WM1 shower?

With regard to the Aurigids and Comet Kiess, I agree, though the maximum
rate for this shower has never been observed to exceed a ZHR of 40.
There is no doubt that Kiess is a long period comet, with a period of
~6300 years.

I stand corrected - thank you for bringing this to my attention. I
amend my statement to state that only periodic comets can produce
meteor showers. You learn something every day in this field :)

However, with regard to the alpha Monocerotids, your paper states
that there is a 98% probability that the period of the parent comet
exceeds 140 years. Since a long period comet's period must exceed
or equal 200 years, your results do not rule out a short period
comet as a progenitor for this shower; indeed the uncertainties
in your 1/a measurements exceed the determinations for all but
one of your points. In short, all you can really say is that the
1/a for the shower meteors is less than your experimental uncertainty,
which appears to be on the order of 0.05 AU^-1.

Regards,
Bill Cooke
CSC/ED44
Marshall Space Flight Center, AL 35812