[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: R: (meteorobs) WM1 shower?

We have with Peter Jenniskens a small article in the WGN 2001 April issue,
on the possibility of this comet producing an outburst. The calculated one
revolution trail doesn't come more close than about 0.01 au from the Earth's
orbit (at the ascending node, where the Earth is May 19). This conclusion
for the trail is at least for the calculated 25 years to come, but very
probably true for centuries. The comet itself passes at about the minimum
separation (from Eart's orbit) of the twisted trail.

If the trail would intersect the Earth orbit, the (very long extending)
trail would be very scarce, because of the long period of the comet. Hardly
anything observable would be predicted. It would however deserve to try to
observe, if an encouter were predicted, in some of the future years.

Some level outburts can be produced from one revolution trails of comets
with periods at least to a few thousand years, as Marco told and gave the
reference. There are a few more papers from Peter Jenniskens (et al) on the
long period outbursts.

Actually we have had with Peter a project going, on the direct calculation
of one revolution long period trails. This has been only slowly advancing
now for about two years, and interrupted by many other things like the
Leonids. Now the draft version is practically ready for planned submission
to the WGN. Mainly some checks on data and English need be made. Because of
large amount of Leonids data probably published in the near future in the
WGN (and some other things now taking my time), it will probably not be
submitted very soon.

On the alpha Monocerotids orbital period, I think it likely to be at least a
few hundred years. (..but probably not more than one or maximum a few
thousand years). This (lower limit) is because the one revolution trail
extends quite strong at least from 1925 to 1995.

The one revolution Leonids trail seems (in our model) to weaken strongly at
about delta_a=0.3 au, or around one and a half years, although observable
some years further..

Assuming about equal q:s, the length in time can be approximated (with
similar ejection model) to be proportional to the semimajor axis powered to
2.5 . Because the semimajor axis with the Leonids is about 10, the (one
revolution) length with a=100 (period 1000 years) would be about 300 times
as long (or around 500 years, a big fraction of the whole orbit, probably
then already too weak to produce a clear outburs).

Esko