[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Winter meteors near the Arctic (was Re: (meteorobs) Re: Geminid visibility range and rates )

>Living in Fairbanks Alaska 00:00 UT to 04:00 UT = 3:00PM to 7:00PM is this
>the expected max time or is midnight to 04:00am local time the expected max?

The peak time for the WORLD is predicted to be about 0400 UT, Thomas. But of
course, if it isn't dark where you are at that time, or if the Geminid shower
"radiant point" isn't high above your horizon then, then *you* may not see
the most meteors at that particular time... Predicting when the EXACT best
time to look, so you will see the most meteors, is a very tricky business.

That's why many of us meteor heads try to get out to observe often, when a
major annual shower is active... and often all night, when it is SUPPOSED to
be peaking! :) Of course, that is easier said than done when the temperature
outside happens to be -40 degrees (C or F doesn't matter down that low!)

Still, Thomas, take heart: there are other folks on our list who observe
under conditions not TOO far from that... Some of our Canadian members may
have some words of advice for you on the SAFEST ways to observe under such
conditions. And we also have quite a few readers who are active observers
in the Scandinavian countries! Birger, Bjxrn, Ike, Markku, Esko, Torben...
Can any of you offer Thomas advice on near-Arctic Winter meteor observing?

Clear skies and warm sleeping bags, everyone!

Lew Gramer, who has *never* observed below 0oF

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html