[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Long/short period comets and streams (was Re: WM1 shower?)

Marco,

> Aurigid rates were as high as 100+ (possibly up to ~400) in
> 1994, 250 +/- 30
> in 1986 and >=100 in 1935; normal annual activity level is
> only 3 +/- 1 (P.
> Jenniskens: Astron. Astroph. 317 (1997), 953-961).

Could you please cite references other than the Jenniskens
paper? All other sources give alpha Aurigid outburst rates
lower than the ones you quote (see, for example, Zay, George
& Lunsford, Robert (1994): On a Possible Outburst of the 1994
alpha-Aurigids, WGN, Journal of the IMO, 22, 224-226).

The reason for this is that, in his paper Dr. Jenniskens
takes a reported rate of 55 per hour in 1935 and uses a model
to INFER higher rates. In Hungary in 1986, observers
reported 24 Aurigids TOTAL, and max ZHR of 40 at 1:25 UT
on September 1st (see Meteor News, January, 1987, #76).
The 250 ZHR given in the Jenniskens paper is a far cry
from the actual observer reports. Again a model with
disputable corrections is invoked to arrive at the higher
figure. There is no evidence that such a procedure is required.

In other words, I tend to stick to the observer reports, and
I must disagree that the Aurigid rates have ever been observed
to exceed 100. Can you site accounts from observers that
support the outburst rates you state?

I'll get around to the 1/a business later, when I have more
time to post.

Thank you for your reply...

Bill Cooke
CSC/ED44