[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Constellation Distortions/Meteor Plotting

December 11, 2001

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

Due to my neophytic experience in meteor astronomy and
the upcoming Geminids, I have a couple of questions
that I wonder a fellow enthusiast could help clear up.

1. It is quite apparent with what I have seen while
meteor hunting that the two bright stars in Gemini:
Pollux and Caster, appear to be spread farther apart
than the listed 5 degrees, when low above the horizon.
At that height they appear more like 7 or 8-deg apart.
Once the constellation has risen a good distance from
the horizon and towards the zenith, however, the stars
become more or less what a rough 5 degrees should look
like.  With that said, about how large of distortion
occurs with the constellations low in the sky and/or
is there supposed to be any?

2.  I still have lost my star books sadly, and am
looking for any advice on where to get some star
charts or maps with meteor plotting in mind, and any
tips for properly recording the plots on the paper.

I have some more meteor observations being compiled.
Hope to have them posted sometime when time permits.
However, as so not to confuse or possibly complicate
anything, I will probably record them on my own
customized form for now.

My e-mail is unclefireballmtf@yahoo.com.

Long trains and merry Geminids!

Mark Fox