[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Constellation Distortions/Meteor Plotting

In a message dated 12/11/2001 8:49:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
unclefireballmtf@yahoo.com writes:

<<  about how large of distortion
 occurs with the constellations low in the sky and/or
 is there supposed to be any?  >>

Mark:

You have noticed "the Moon Illusion": our brain sees the sky, not
as a dome, but as a squashed plate.  The sky assumes the "shape"
probably because of the things that we see in it (clouds, etc.)  When
we see things toward the horizon they ought to be much further away.
When they are the same size as normal, our brains apparently think
they have become larger.

That's an interesting question, about distortion.  Dunno.

Bob Young
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html