[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Attack of the prepeak Geminids! (Quick note, 11/12 Dec 2001, GRALE)

Under a leaden sky tonight, I finished transcribing my data from a short session in Westford MA last night. Full report will follow tomorrow.

And now I must confess, with a good deal of doubt & even trepidation, that I saw a totally unexpected number of Geminids for a pre-peak night! In the best of my 1 hour periods, at 4:15-5:45UT with LM 6.4, I saw 41 GEMs!

And that's not to mention 14 Spor, 2 sigma Hydrids (HYD) and even an unusual 2 chi Orionids (XOR). No COM or PUP were seen at all, and I was not watching for MONs.

One meteor a minute, just after midnight on 12 Dec???

Quite a show! In fact, too much of a show... Was I just experiencing an attack of "floaters" due to fatigue? But then why did my floaters keep lining up on the GEM radiant, at medium speeds?

Anyway, perhaps a pattern will emerge when I submit my full report, and others have sent in theirs as well. But I had to send this note out of simple amazement...

Clear skies tonight, and for the REAL peak tomorrow!

Lew Gramer (GRALE)

Lew Gramer, 800-501-1187, lgramer@...
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html