[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) No Geminids tonight . . . maybe tomorrow night?

    Well . . . looks like the only meteors that will be visible locally in
the NY area tonight will be of the hydro variety.  A slow-moving frontal
system with a wave of low pressure rolling along it will being clouds, fog,
drizzle and a few heavier showers right on through the end of the day Friday.
 This also means I'll be getting wiped-out of the 14% partial solar eclipse
on Friday afternoon.

    Were I really desparate/ambitious, I might head to someplace along a line
from Iowa, over to south-central Wisconsin to northern Michigan where there's
a reasonably good chance of clear skies tonight.  Clearing might even occur
over Maine after midnight.

    Friday night/Saturday morning looks much more promising, with clearer and
drier air settling in across a wide swath of the eastern US.  Here's hoping
that some of that improvement reaches me in time to salvage the "Gems"
closing performance. Only trouble spots would be upstate NY and central and
northern New England, where cloudiness may persist for the better part of the
night.

-- joe rao
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html