[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonid dust trail age vs. population index

Hi!

  It appears that it is either generally assumed (or observed) or shown by
theoretical models that population index is in some way proportional to the
dust trail age: the younger the trail, the higher the population index (more
faint meteors).

  Could someone explain the major difference between 1833 and 1966 Leonid
storms? While they were both caused by very young trails (1-rev in 1833 and 2-
rev in 1966) the apparently displayed VERY different brightness profiles (and
to some extent activity profiles as well). Most reproductions and eyewitness
accounts of the 1833 storm indicate it was a bright event with many spectacular
fireballs lighting up the sky (one account says up to 20 persistent trains
could be seen at once!) and the storm lasted fairly long - unusual meteor
numbers were noted in the evening and the 'high' storm activity appears to have
lasted at least from 2 to 5 a.m. (on the east coast). 1966, on the other hand
was a time-wise narrow event with a sharp peak, dominated by faint meteors and
very rare fireballs. Why such a difference? Is it related to processes after
dust ejection from the cometary nucleus or could it possibly indicate a change
in activity of the nucleus? Was there perhaps significant contribution from
1699,1767 and 1733 trails during the 1833 storm?

  Or is it that larger particles that produce fireball meteors have smaller
velocities relative to the cometary nucleus than the smaller particles that
produce faint meteors and that small particles therefore dominate the outskirts
(front and back extremities of the trail) while the large particles tend to be
concentrated near the center of the trail and take longer to spread out.
Therefore in 1966 we could have a similar bright peak if we hit the center of
the trail dead-on?

Ok, now I'm way out... ...waiting for any answers.

Clear skies!

Jure A.

http://www.emaildot si
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html