From: "Heen, Lars Trygve" <Lars-Trygve.Heen@ffi.no>
To: 'Lew Gramer' <dedalus@latrade.com>
Subject: SV: Winter meteors near the Arctic (was Re: (meteorobs)
             Re: Geminid  visibility range and rates )
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:37:48 +0100

I didn't see an address for Thomas, so I'm replying to you.
There was a reference to -40 degrees, but I don't know any of the details.
Dry, no wind inland degrees are not the same as those windy humid coastal
degrees...

The most important item for observations under cold conditions is a very
good sleeping bag. Nowadays, people go to the Poles for fun, so it's
possible to find real 'arctic' sleeping bags.

In addition, if you have one of those 'warm suits' that outdoor workers use
when it's cold, you're pretty well off. Wool closest to the body is
generally recommended. If you plan to lie directly on the ground (and also
on a recliner chair or whatever else you'd use), you need a good (thick) mat
(don't know the English name for these standard items that go with sleeping
bags). There are various items that produces heat chemically to use inside
boots or gloves. I've never used them, but they seem to work.

I wouldn't rely on drinking hot cocoa or similar. This tends to increase the
heat the body feels, and thus open pores to let the heat out - not a good
idea when it's cold.

If it's really cold, I wouldn't plan on staying out the whole long night.
Two to four hours of cold observing may often be more than enough to get
really cold. This varies quite a bit though, and is somewhat dependent on
meteor activity. During the Leonid peak on the afternoon of Nov 18 this year
(from 69.5 deg N), 15 observers (some casual) stayed out in -22 deg C for 7
hours without any major problems. Earthgrazing activity was spectacular, but
the rates were lower than a Geminid max. The humidity may have been low,
because I've previously had trouble after 3-4 hours with the same equipment
in those temperatures. If there is wind, that will really reduce the time
you can stay out observing.

Maybe this helps, and maybe the response from the people mentioned is more
thorough.

By the way, to my experience, the Geminids are always a nice show on max
night (and the one before and after) when the radiant is well above the
horizon. The max time isn't all that important.

Good luck!

Lars Trygve Heen
Norwegian Meteor Section
lth@ffi.no