[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids observing

Hi everyone
I did my FM radio recordings as usual - unmanned (Yet to check the
tapes) because I wanted to go out & observe the shower. As usual here
in Cooma, cloud ruined it yet again. Cloud always seems to ruin EVERY
meteor shower, year in year out! don't come to Cooma to observe
meteors!!!

For the last 3 days, low fog like cloud would conceal the sky. Yet a
miracle beckoned - There were a couple of 1/2 hour breaks which gave
me a fleeting view of the Geminids. Only to close back in again. -
DOH!

On the 13th I saw 4 meteors at once, giving me a good view of the
radiant. This is the 1st time I've seen the radiant effect! Also saw 2
-2Mag Geminids streak past the Southern Cross (seemed to be Geminids
due to the radiant).
This morning, 14th was identical to the 13th in that only a 1/2 hour
break in the clouds - where the sky really cleared up! Saw only a
couple of 0 to -1 Mag Geminids in that time. What really struck me was
a satellite at -2 or so Mag - really bright for a satellite.
Oh well, there's always next year.
Cheers
Geoff <Cooma NSW Australia>