[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonid dust trail age vs. population index

>   It appears that it is either generally assumed (or observed) or shown by
> theoretical models that population index is in some way proportional to the
> dust trail age: the younger the trail, the higher the population index (more
> faint meteors).

Jure,
The relevant parameter is not trail age, but the da0 for the trail.  In 1998
for the fireballs this was -0.03 I think and for the 9 10 and 11-rev trails
in 2001 it was ~0.04.  The relationship between da0 and mag index
incorporates several factors, but to the first degree, the closer da0 is to
0.00 the brighter the meteors.

Have to check tables to get values for other trails.
Cheers, Rob

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: