[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: NWM2001Dec13/14 Geminids off sharply

Preliminary counts for Geminids Dec 13/14  932-226 EST  (232 - 726 UT) were
37,45,43,60,62.  Sky excellent throughout at LM7.3.  We were disappointed at
the lower rates than expected.  Still a rich night for meteors but am
feeling jaded.   I have not had a peak this low since beginning Geminid
observing in dark sky 1971.  Has the anticipated decrease started?  Probably
started last year, as early on max night with a bright moon I saw almost
nothing in 2 hours.  The news is not good.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society