[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids13/14 Dec - Lots of them!

Just a quick report,before i try and get some sleep...

I observed under a dark sky(LM ~6) from Ottery St Mary in Devon,UK from ~00
UT to ~06UT. I did rough 30 second counts whilst taking 30 second exposures
with my cameras(i did not record any data),and although there were
occasional  periods of 2 or 3 minutes when i did not see any,most
(througout the night,and from the very start of observing) were in the
order of 2 or 3 Geminids every 30 seconds. The most i counted was 8 in 30
seconds.

They came in flurries,much like the Leonids ...I saw simultaneous Geminids
on 4 separate occasions,and one triplet of simultaneous Geminids,radiating
out in different directions - which was most impressive,and the highlight
of the night for me. Many Geminids were seen in near-simultaneous pairs and
triplets.

All the Geminids i saw appeared white to me ...no color what so ever,and
there were no fireballs brighter than -4 mag ...in fact the brightest
meteors were nearly always seen close to the horizon,and very often
around  -1/-2 mag!

Despite not having recorded any data,i'm pretty sure i observed an outburst
last night ...hopefully others will be able to confirm this!

Hope everyone had as good a night as i did!

Leo

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html