[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Geminids13/14 Dec - Lots of them!

> of the night for me. Many Geminids were seen in
> near-simultaneous pairs and
> triplets.

For us, often they seemed to come in bursts of 3-5 within 30 seconds and
then none for maybe 2 minutes. I was always convinced this was pure
coincedence but the effect was very obvious last night.

> All the Geminids i saw appeared white to me ...no color what
> so ever,and
> there were no fireballs brighter than -4 mag ...in fact the brightest
> meteors were nearly always seen close to the horizon,and very often
> around  -1/-2 mag!

The brightest I recorded were some -2's. 5 seconds before the end of a break
I did see a -3. We also noticed the large number of brighter meteors near
the horzion. In fact, we were calling them Horizonids. Yet, the ones we saw
above the western horizon must have been overhead for you :).

> Despite not having recorded any data,i'm pretty sure i
> observed an outburst
> last night ...hopefully others will be able to confirm this!

Hmm, I think it was the regular peak. Though my own data shows maximum
activity between 1 and 3 UT, so before the predicted peak of 4 UT.

Daniel
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html