[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Urban GEMs from San Diego

  Seasons Greetings All,

  Geminids are ON!

  Last night (Thurs Dec 13) it was remarkably clear in north San Diego
city (La Jolla, actually).. LM estimated to be 5.4 - 5.7 which is not bad
for urban skies, just 15mi N of 7th largest city in the US.. it was also
*very* cold for this area, 42degF last night... sat outside my canyon-view
apartment with my Dutch nieghbor facing north-east.

  We watched casually for 2hrs between 0700-0900 UT (2300h to 0100h, PST
local time)... counted 29 GEMs and 3 SPO.  Saw a short and beautiful  -4
pearl-white GEM near the radiant.. saw a longer (~20-30deg) -3 GEM with a
clearly defined 'meteoroid' head to it.. saw no persistent trains or wakes..

  All in all, a nice pleasent treat to see nearly 3 dozen meteors in just a
couple hours, right outside my door ;-) By 1am, local time, the marine layer
started rolling in... (we're located just 1.5 miles from the Pacific Ocean).

  If its clear tonite, we may just jhead to the mountains.  Clear skies
and happy hunting to all.

  Cheers,

  Joseph Assmus
  San Diego, CA  USA