[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Virtual geminids...

No geminids spotted here, southeastern Brasil (the most densely
populated part of the country). Clouds everywhere, much like last month
leonid maximum.

But I did hear some reflections on my FM radio (88,1 Mhz, 590 km distant
from transmitter). It were 61 reflections in 60 minutes. The geminids
reflections were shorter than leonids reflections, with sharper starts
and ends (some long leonid reflections did seem to "fade in and out").

I've heard just 4 geminid reflections longer than 1 sec and none longer
than 4 sec. I think the duration of geminid reflections (by FM) do match
the duration of the meteors themselves (visually), because the geminids
don't use to leave persistent ionized trails. But there might be
exceptions.

I've already knew that the strength of reflections roughly match the
visual magnitude, so it turned easy to imagine the meteors crossing the
sky above the clouds as I heard them. It was a good virtual display. I
think that meteor hearing is one of a few astronomical activities well
suited to visual impaired people, isn't it?

By the way, the reflections too appeared in bunches, as visual
observations have indicated.

Kiko Soares
P. Prudente - Brasil
22.07 S - 51.22 W