[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids 2001 from central Texas USA

It was cloudy on the pre-max night, and it's cloudy
tonight, but here we were fortunate that it was clear
for the night of the Geminids maximum.

During the period 8:00-9:00 UTC two five-minute "bins"
had 11 GEM each, and in .50 Teff during that period I
counted 50 GEM and 7 others.  Details below.

The first (casual) Geminid was very short (1/2 degree?),
right near the radiant, at about 4:00 UTC.  But I
didn't get settled down for quite a while, so there was
a long period of casual observing.  Then after I did
get started with Teff, off and on I had trouble with
drowsiness and even fell asleep for 30-40 minutes.
This was somewhat puzzling as I'd slept nine hours the
night before.  I should have had that second cup of
coffee on Thursday, I guess.

I'm also a little bit puzzled by my limiting magnitude
counts versus the seemingly good rates of Geminids that
I saw.  I counted star fields over and over but just
could not resolve any more stars than I report.  Perhaps
it was due to being only about 25 km west of Austin and
looking southeast.  The sky was completely clear as far
as I could tell.  There was 5% or less obstruction of my
field of view due to trees to the sides and ground below
(looking somewhat up a low hillside).  The temperature
was a few degrees above freezing.

At about 7:59:30, while I was taking one of many breaks,
the ground was lit up quite brightly for about a second.
I turned around too late to see the fireball that had
been in the west or NW.

Just as several others have mentioned, I also noticed
clustering -- two or three minutes with no GEMs, and
then a couple of minutes with several of them.  A few
were very nearly simultaneous.  I wish I had used 1-min
bins.

I did not attempt to determine magnitudes.  Maybe some
night I will.  I feel that if I used more distinctions
than "fireball, bright, medium, or faint" I would be
making them up.

December 13-14, 2001 (December 14 UTC)
Dripping Springs, Texas, USA: 30.190N, 98.086W, 300 m.
Session: 06:35:00-10:00:00 UTC

All "bins" are five minutes.

1. Looking roughly RA 7, Dec +16 (right of Jupiter)
LM, using IMO field #17 (Auriga), 8 stars = +4.6
Begin . . . . End Teff  LM  GEM Other
06:35:00-06:40:00 .083 +4.6   8  0
06:42:00-06:47:00 .083 +4.6   5  1
06:50:00-06:55:00 .083 +4.6   7  0

2. Looking roughly RA 7, Dec +20 (below Jupiter)
LM, using IMO field #4 (Gemini), 7 stars = +5.1
Begin . . . . End Teff  LM  GEM Other
07:30:00-07:35:00 .083 +5.1   5  0
07:36:00-07:41:00 .083 +5.1   6  1

3. Looking at the Beehive (M44), RA 8:40, Dec +20
LM, using IMO field #4 (Gemini), 7 stars = +5.1
Begin . . . . End Teff  LM  GEM Other
08:06:00-08:11:00 .083 +5.1   6  3
08:12:00-08:17:00 .083 +5.1  11  2
08:19:00-08:24:00 .083 +5.1   7  0
08:30:00-08:35:00 .083 +5.1   9  1
08:39:00-08:44:00 .083 +5.1   6  0
08:50:00-08:55:00 .083 +5.1  11  1

(Somewhere in here is where I fell asleep.)

4. Looking at Leo, RA 10:00, Dec +22
LM, using IMO field #9 (Leo), 9 stars = +5.0
Begin . . . . End Teff  LM  GEM Other
09:41:00-09:46:00 .083 +5.0   8  3
09:47:00-09:52:00 .083 +5.0   6  1
09:55:00-10:00:00 .083 +5.0   5  1

I stopped at 10:00 UTC (4:00 a.m. local) due to having
to go to work on Friday (afternoon).

On the way back to town, through the car windshield, I
saw one very good GEM going nearly straight down that
went 15 to 25 degrees from when it entered view until
it disappeared.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA
http://wwwvms.utexasdot edu/~ecannon/meteorlinks.html

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html