[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) fireball

Hi Jean Marie and meteorobs,

My fellow meteor observer Simon Vanderkerken and I saw this fireball also
during our Geminid watch of last night. Exactly at 00.01 UT . She was going
to the west, for me : from Aries into Cetus. Our estimation is magnitude -6.
The main colour was blue/ white and she left a little smokey trail. It was a
Geminid.

By the way ; we could observe under very clear skies ! Very good seeing !
The Limited magnitude reached 6.6 for a while ; this is very unusual for
this observing site !

Now, I will continue finishing the meteor data of the last two nights.

During 13-14/12, I observed the Geminids with Hendrik Vandenbruaene, Hans
Huyghe and Simon Vanderkerken also here in Belgium. It was definitely a
night to remember !Under very cold conditions, I saw 830 meteors during a
8.67  hours Geminid watch : 712 were Geminids. I share the same opinion as
many observers ; they came in "clusters", the maximum appeared a bit earlier
than expected and Geminid fireballs were "exceptional". Most notably was
a -5 point meteor near Castor.

Clear and frosty skies !

Michel Vandeputte
Meteor section of VVS Belgium