[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) LEO antiradiant ; WAS Question about Leonid photo

On Sat, 15 December 2001, "ccmlt" wrote:

BUT the shooting stars are not diverging from the radiant point ; > they all are converging to a point located under the horizon, exactly > opposed to the radiant, what I call the antiradiant.

The more amazing is that this
> antiradiant effect is not documented on any publication I read on LEO or
> other meteor (but maybe I missed something).

This effect is described re: meteor plotting on gnomonic maps, in the 1989 IMO Hanbook for Visual Meteor Observations.

(p.73) "Photographs made through small frame cameras are also gnomonic prints.

(p. 74) "If the radiant lies at less than 90 degrees from the map's center, the meteor trails will converge when extended backwards; when at more than 90 degrees from the center, the meteors will converge when prolonged forwards into the anti-radiant.

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR

http://www.shopping.altavista.com