[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V3 #821

> Joe Rao wrote :
>     This may be all well and good, however, I think it should be pointed out
> that at the end of the circular Brian Marsden reports that " . . . the
> "original" and "future" barycentric values of 1/a are +0.000004 and -0.000741
> (+/- 0.000118) AU**-1, respectively."  This yields an eccentricity for the
> comet orbit of e = 1.0007831, which means it may very well be a "new" comet
> from the Oort cloud.  In the past, such comets, with great promise, have
> ultimately proven to be "duds."  Excellent examples are Comet Cunningham in
> 1940-41, Comet Kohoutek in 1973-74 and most recently, Comet Austin in 1990.
>
>     One of the reasons why optimism ran high for Comet Hale-Bopp nearly two
> years in advance of its perihelion was that it was determined to have an
> orbit resembling a long ellipse with a period of roughly 4000 years and hence
> had already been through the inner solar system at least once before.  My
> hopes would be similarly as high for Comet NEAT if only its eccentricity were
> calculated to be less than 1.0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the key note here is thatthe "original" 1/a is a positive number - meaning that
the comet has been here before.  It's currently on a
hyperbolic orbit, but perhaps it has been here before,
though it may not be returning.

Regards,
Greg

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html