[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonid dust trail age vs. population index

Hi Rob, Hi all,

Rob :
> In ejection models, large particles would tend to be ejected at lower
> velocities and thus have orbital periods closer to the comet (da0 tends
> towards zero).
... etc

Many thanks for this explanation.

Well, is it possible to say (as an extreme simplification) that, for a given
dust trail (for exemple 6 REV) it could be more interesting for observers
that earth encounters this old trail 1 or 2 years after the return of the
parent comet in the inner solar system than 3-4 years after ? I mean only
from the point of view of population index, not ZHR. Shooting stars should
be brighter in the first case cause they are much closer to the comet  ...

What about the dust trail itself ? From your explanation of the da0
parameter I understand that the probability to encounter more massive
particles should be better in the "middle" of any dust trail than on the
periphery ? So this could be an explanation about the great number of bright
LEO this year vs 1999 LEO ...
In fact, 2002 LEO should be brighter than 2001 LEO ?

I'm probably wrong be don't know where ;-)
Anyway, I hope you understand what I mean. I know my english is bad.

Rob :
>It is really necessary to read the original papers to fully understand the
>details

I'll be very pleased to read your original papers. I only read abstracts ...
Are they available on the web ?

Sincerely,
Christophe

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html