[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V3 #821

In a message dated 12/17/01 4:33:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jbryant@mail.usyddot edu.au writes:

<< Correct me if I'm wrong, but the key note here is that the "original" 1/a
is a positive number - meaning that the comet has been here before.  It's
currently on a
hyperbolic orbit, but perhaps it has been here before,
though it may not be returning. >>

Greg --

    I didn't think that this was the case when I wrote my original message .
. . however . . . after receiving your E-mail, I decided to go directly to
the source (Brian Marsden) and ask him.  His reply can be found below.  --
joe

Subj:    Re: Comet C/2001 Q4 (NEAT)
Date:   12/17/01 9:40:38 AM Eastern Standard Time
From:   brian@cfaps5.harvarddot edu
To: Skywayinc@aol.com

Dear Joe,

     Your concern about C/2001 Q4's being a "new" comet is indeed properly
placed, and it was a concern I was trying to make without using words.  An
"original" 1/a = +0.000004 +/- 0.000118 AU**-1 indeed makes it likely--
though not inevitable--that the comet is on its first approach from the
Oort Cloud, and while the lead time is very commendable, we should not be
at all surprised if the comet fails to make it to first magnitude.

Regards
Brian
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html