[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Micrometeorites

Jim: your project sounds very interesting to me. Some years ago at Caltech in Pasadena CA I
heard a talk on the subject and one of the simple collector that one of the graduate students
had used was a child's plastic wading pool placed on top of one of the tallest buildings
filled with water.   I don't know where you live but I would think that one of the best
sources of micro meteorites would be fresh snow fall,  particularly after a good snow pack
has built up.  If you could combine a skiing trip with your search and go to high mountains,
so much the better.  The principal contaminates at higher altitudes would be organic from the
conifers and should be easily floated off in the separation.  However it takes a lot of heat
to melt the snow.  I presume you are getting lots of advice so just hit "Delete"  if this is
just one more too many. LOL    Robert Gardner