[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Late Geminids

Last night at 10 pm PST 6h UT I went out in my back yard to try to relax
in my reclining camp chair and view the 3.0 to 3.4 M light polluted
urban sky.  I was surprise to see two bright Geminids within the first
four minutes.  The first was -1.0 Magnitude and the second was +1.5
magnitude.  ( The half magnitude only means that I could not make up my
mind as to whether it was 1 or 2) An additional 45 minutes gave me no
more meteors of any kind.  I was surprised that they were so bright this
late in the window.
    I am still recovering from a very bad trip to Joshua Tree.  I let
myself become dependent on someone else for my transportation.  Someone
who really is not interested in astronomy.  I wont bore you with the
details but the whole trip was wrecked by the ignorance and rudeness of
my transporter.
     At the time around 10 pm that I could finally start observing. the
shower was looking good though the sky did not look all that great.
However I was so exhausted that I had to get some rest.  I got up at 2
am PST and the sky was clouded over to the point that it was about as
good as my back yard.  There were still some good shows but I was still
too tired go on, so I went back to bed.  I am an old man and I must get
my rest to prepare for a night under the stars.

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html