[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Detection on FM--a new experience.

Hello, I've recently again become interested in detecting meteors by FM. I tried this in a limited
way about 2 years ago but didn't have much success. I was somewhat constrained by the location of my
FM receiver and an available antenna. I have several FM receivers to play with: an old Scott FM kit
rcvr, a Technics FM/AM rcvr, and a C. Crane CC-Radio with AM/FM, TV, and weather. I also have a
six-element Radio Shack FM yagi FM antenna. In browsing around the web for info about meteor obs by
FM radio, I haven't found too much, frankly, that details this procedure. What I have found roughly
says, attach a directional FM antenna to an rcvr, point it upward 20-30 degrees from the horizontal,
tune to a dead band, and listen. The preferred listening time is from midnight to 6 AM. In my most
recent round of browsing, I see someone talk about filters, and some suggestions that using a TV
rcvr might be better. I do have a RS digital VM and can use it to convert analog to digital. That
may be a possibility for some use of software and a PC.  I'd like to try listening for meteors by
FM, but it would be good to start simply. What do you suggest that would most likely meet with
success?

I listened to a meteor recording on a NASA site, but I have a feeling the quality of the recording
is far superior to anything I might get off of FM. What's the story with TV? Can one use an old TV
rcvr or does one have to buy some rcvr that will tune into the TV band? Is it the same procedure as
used with FM?

--
            Wayne T. Watson (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N, 2,701 feet)

                "For a really good prime, call 555-3241" -- Seen on a tee shirt

                       Web Page: http://home.earthlinkdot net/~mtnviews
           Imaginarium Museum: http://home.earthlinkdot net/~mtnviews/imaginarium.html

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: