[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) clumping

Tom Fleming wrote:
> It is one thing to see a spike in your count as meteors enter on
> various paths. It is another to see them in parallel paths with only a
> mile or so of divergence and separated in time by a few seconds.
> It is my hypothesis that particles exhibiting this behavior are from a
> parent particle and that the clumping is not random.

==========
Humm, let's see. A few seconds are enough for the earth and the
meteoroids to travel many tens of km in their orbits. Considering two
meteors, one following the other's trail, separated by a few seconds;
their meteoroids were actually tens (or hundreds) of km apart in space
and weren't related.

I think particles of the same family (that originated from bigger
particles) would appear simultaneously and very close in the sky (twin
meteors), or at most, separated by tenths of a seconds and by many
degrees in the sky (not so parallel paths).

Kiko Soares
P. Prudente - Brasil
22.07 S - 51.22 W