[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radiant size

Hi Kiko,

That radiant size is somewhat related to geocentric meteoroid speeds of
streams was something completely unknown to me untill I saw it mentioned in
J. Stohl & V. Porubcan: meteor streams of asteroidal origin. In Stohl &
Williams (eds.), Meteoroids and their parent bodies, Bratislava 1993. They
don't give a clear reason but demonstrate it with the radiant sizes for a
number of  NEA origin meteor streams with different Vgeocentric. For streams
with Vgeo in the order of 12 km/s the radiant size gets up to 50 degrees,
reason why such streams are difficult to detect. Streams with Vgeo in the
order of 16 km/s have radiant diameters of about 30 degrees.

One reason I can come up with as far as observed radiant position is
concerned, is that very slow meteors are much more influenced by 'zenith
attraction', i.e. the perturbing effects of earth gravity on the meteoroid
orbit, which is a.o. dependant on entry angle of the meteoroid.

Marco

---
Marco Langbroek                    private: marco.langbroek@wanadoodot nl
Leiden University                     work: m.langbroek@arch.leidenunivdot nl
Faculty of Archaeology
P.O. Box 9515
http://home.wanadoodot nl/marco.langbroek/
NL-2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands

"What seest thou else
  In the dark backward and abysm of time?"

William Shakespeare: The Tempest act I scene 2
---

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html