[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 65 more Leonids observers

I just received the following Leonids report from someone
in Sun City, a retirement community near Georgetown, Texas
(about 50 km north of Austin).  It's really worth noting,
because the weather in the area was very unfavorable (which
is why I drove several hours west for that night).  Note
that a much larger group observed the 1998 Leonids maximum
as well:

> The Leonids were spectacular. We had about 65 people at a
> Meteor Shower party here in Sun City. The clouds broke at
> 4:15 am and we counted nearly 300 in 2 hours. We thought
> that was extraordinary considering the clouds rolled in
> and out the entire time. We could even see fireballs
> behind the clouds!
>
> ... even old codgers are interested enough in these things
> to come out at 3:30 AM to looks at the skies. We only had
> 65 this year because it was very cloudy.  Three years ago
> we had over 150 at the same event. Of course, serving a
> hot breakfast at 6AM may have motivated some of us to get
> up that early!

I wonder how many other such Meteor Shower parties were held
around the world.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA
http://wwwvms.utexasdot edu/~ecannon/meteorlinks.html

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html