[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Detection on FM--a new experience.

Wayne wrote:  >>>> Hello, I've recently again become interested in
detecting meteors by FM. ...... What I have found roughly says, attach a
directional FM antenna to an rcvr, point it upward 20-30
degrees from the horizontal, tune to a dead band, and listen. The preferred
listening time is from midnight to 6 AM. ..... I'd like to try
listening for meteors by FM, but it would be good to start simply. What do
you suggest that would most likely meet with  success? <<<<

Wayne,

If you have your directional yagi and FM receiver, then you are all set to
begin. Just experiment around and before dawn, tune into a vacant FM
frequency where there are no local stations and have your antenna pointed
in a direction where there are very far-off FM transmitters.

Then listen. If you don't hear meteors then adjust your antenna to better
orient towards a far off town or city where there will surely be a
transmitter at your working frequency.

Hopefully you live in a place where you can find a vacant local frequency
but this has become increasingly challenging in recent years.

Where are you located?

Feel free to keep asking questions as you get tuned in.

Also, the Quadrantid metor shower is coming up the first few days of
January and this an excellent radio meteor shower.

Best of luck to you.

Tom Ashcraft

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html