[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Asteroids, comets and shedding.

My understanding of an asteroid is that it is basically a mostly solid
"rock" which (unless I missed something somewhere and well may/must have)
does not shed it's layers in the way that a comet/dirty snowball does while
leaving a trail of debris which often becomes what we see as a meteor
shower. The recent Geminid metor shower which does have asteroid origins
(and is the only one that I am aware of) is what has prompted this question.
I dont know why I never really gave this a lot of thought in the past but I
would welcome any discussion........

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html