[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Asteroids, comets and shedding.

Hello meteorrr@attdot net (Meteorrr),

In reference to your comment:

è My understanding of an asteroid is that it is basically a
è mostly solid "rock" which (unless I missed something
è somewhere and well may/must have) does not shed it's
è layers in the way that a comet/dirty snowball does
è while leaving a trail of debris which often becomes what
è we see as a meteor shower. The recent Geminid metor
è shower which does have asteroid origins (and is the
è only one that I am aware of) is what has prompted this
è question. I dont know why I never really gave this a lot
è of thought in the past but I would welcome any
è discussion........

I've always wondered if EVERY asteroid was the rocky core of a past comet. Comets are basically ice, but why couldn't they have a rocky core? I may be completely wrong...but i may be completely right!
Anthony