[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Asteroids, comets and shedding.

Hello JBortle@aol.com,

In reference to your comment:

è Thus, a currently inactive comet, looking much like an
è asteroid (except  perhaps spectroscopically), can have
è an associated meteor stream.  However...if I recall
è correctly, in the specific case of the parent object of
è the Geminids it does appear to  have the spectroscopic
è signature of a true  asteroid (of some class or other).
è Just the same, there are a number of other  small
è asteroidal bodies known that are traveling in comet-like
è orbits and at  least some are probably currently inert
è cometary nuclei

John,
Thanks for clearing that up. Although, I guess since we've never actually landed on a comet's nucleus, there may be a small possibility (although doubtful) that at least SOME asteroids may actually be extinct comets? It was just a long-time thought I've had for years.
Anthony