[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Counting meteors with a Palm Handheld computer

I did not realize that the Palm was constrained to only 4K bytes to a single
file; what a headache! I understand completely your need to compress the
data as you do. I would suggest that you write an accompanying program for
the PC that will convert the data to a more readable format. After all, the
observer will be uploading the data to the PC for transmission to the IMO;
it won't take much additional effort to get it into a better format. I would
gladly write the program myself, but I use a Macintosh. Perhaps we should
take the bull by the horns (sorry, that's an American expression for "attack
the problem directly and immediately") and define a standard format and then
recruit another meteorobs person to write the PC version of the program. I'm
sure that if we set about the task, we'll smoke out Rainer Arlt ("smoke out"
is another American expression meaning "apply extortionate methods to force
a person to come forward"), who will then help us decide on a proper format.

So, what do you say? Are you willing to proceed? Is there another meteorobs
person willing to write the PC port?

Chris Crawford

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: