[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Lost data and few Ursids in East Georgia

            While I did have an enjoyable two-hour session observing Ursid
activity Saturday morning, it appears
I'll have no real data to show for it.  My old faithful recorder died during
the Leonid peak last month, and in the darkness I pressed "play" rather than
"record" on my new machine.  So my two hours of meteor data for the Ursids ,
were, ahem, "performed live" rather than recorded.
            While the Ursids were a bit of a bust here, I had a good
sporadic count, taped or not.  I probably saw some twenty meteors including
4 or 5 URS, the first hour from 3:16 to 4:22 AM local time.  I had a very
brief flashback to last months peak rates when at 3:27 a flurry of four
meteors occured within 15 seconds...the first three appeared within seconds
of each other, the fourth about ten seconds after the third.  None were
Ursids, as best I could tell, and they didn't appear to be related to each
other, at least not all four.
            Facing northeast at the Bear's hind leg under a transparent 6.27
LM sky, I saw prabably 12 SPO's and 4 or so Ursids the second period.  The
Ursids were exceptionally faint, +4 and fainter though a couple were a bit
brighter.  I saw no negative magnitude meteors during the session. One of
the brighter URS did leave a brief train.
            I'd be willing to bet the Ursid activity was a lot higher at
fainter magnitudes.  I kept seeing, and discounting, faint flashes during my
session, probably faint Ursids????

Kim Youmans